Thursday, May 26, 2005

The Cat Whisperer

JennJenn thinks her cat has a crush on me. He, and her roomates' cats as well for that matter, try their best to get in my face whenever I'm over. But then when I go to pet them they're like, whatever bitch don't touch me, and they walk away. No wonder I like dogs better. I miss my dogs. Last night I had trouble sleeping because I started thinking about it, and how Max used to take over my bed so that I would wake up feeling all cramped from sleeping in a mangled position so as not to disturb him, and with a puddle of bulldog drool all over the bed.

I've had a few nights like that lately, where the absence of something that has been absent for months or even years suddenly becomes a completely unnatural experience. A week or so ago I couldn't sleep because I had the most unnerving feeling that soemthing was wrong...then I realized that it was simply being warm and dry in my own bed, in the silent house, rather than perpetually damp in a sleeping bag on a bunk bed in an uninsulated wooden cabin with rain falling incessantly on a metal roof above my head. I mean, I guess I can attribute that one to the travel bug, I think I need to go somewhere again real soon (this time last year I was getting ready to leave for Costa Rica). But the fact that I was all isomniac over it is just really weird.

On a completely unrelated note, I might get to learn how to set up a yurt! Yurts are these cool-ass-cool buildings originally built by the Mongolians. And at this treehugger-y event I'm attending with the Sierra Club in a couple weeks, Selene's partner is most defintiely setting one up. If there's room in the car I get to tag along in the early morning (and yet I'm still excited) to help thems et it up. What can I say? I'm an experience whore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never realised how important a good bed was until I got a bad back�.
Over 1,400 members of BackCare, the national organisation for healthy backs, responded to our Back Your Bed survey - the first of its kind to explore the views on beds of those who suffer from bad backs and the experts who treat them.
SUMMARY OF THE BACK YOUR BED SURVEY RESULTS
Buying a good bed is one of the most important purchases you can make when it comes to back pain relief. Nine out of 10 say their bed is more important to them since they developed back pain; 98% agreed that a good, supportive bed could help a bad back. 82% of experts felt that the right bed could help prevent back pain.
"If you cannot rest properly and sleep well, this hinders recovery from back problems."
A firm, supportive bed, not a hard one, can do wonders to ease and even prevent bad backs. Only 22% of sufferers had bought a bed classed as �orthopaedic�; while 28% describe their bed support as �medium�. Only 6% of experts would recommend an orthopaedic bed to patients.

Three quarters would be prepared to spend more than �500 on a new bed: compared with just 36% of the �normal� population. Nearly one in 10 would pay more than �2,000 for a new bed to get the comfort and relief they need.
Back pain sufferers are twice as likely as the rest of the population to own a new bed - 50% have beds that are less than five years old compared to the national average of 24%.
88% are satisfied with their choice � but 16% said they would get a better quality one next time; while 9% would opt for something firmer; 5% said they would choose a softer bed and 4% wanted a bigger one.

Sufferers are three times more likely to replace their beds when they no longer feel comfortable (65% compared with just 20%).
31% own a king size bed compared with 11% generally. Separate mattresses zipped together are also popular with couples whose support needs differ or who are easily disturbed by their partner's movements. top
So worth considering when buying a