Sunday, March 05, 2006

It's only been a week?

Holy Crap.

Last Sunday I went to visit my sister Bee (nickname)after a too-long absence. It's funny how three-year-olds develop fixations...first we watched Finding Nemo. Then we pretended to be characters from Finding Nemo. Then we played with her LeapPad (a phenomenal toy for kids) - using the Finding Nemo book. Then she came over to my place to see the fish and harass the cat, and left a very happy girl.

Other than that I've been obscenely busy...didn't get nearly as much done over Spring Break as I had planned to, and with Women in House coming up this coming Tuesday and the post-midterms shoot-me-now part of thes emester upon us, there hasn't been much time to breathe. Or to post, which apparently has led certain readers (who you'd never suspect!) to aimlessly playing with my site's pet hedgehog Stevie. So cute.

But yeah, Women in House has pretty much come together but it was a stressful process for me because we had to change the date - and delay the sending-out of the invitations as a result - to accommodate the Minister responsible for the Status of Women. However, it was apparently her departmental secretary who was handling her commitments for that day, and when the new Premier shuffled the cabinet she ceased to be respnsible of the SOW and there wasn't enough communication with her assistant so nobody contacted me. And the Legislature was called on Friday and she now has a bunch of ministers' meetings and can't make it on the day that we specifically chose because it was convenient for her. But because of the miscommunications, I didn't find this out until Friday afternoon when I called three numbers trying to finalize some details and her assistant informed me of it. So it's a little frustrating but it'll just magically work somehow, like it did last year.

Friday I went to lunch at The Wooden Monkey with my mentor, a really wonderful lawyer who the Mount matched me up with. We talked about things like resolving the ethical/moral conflicts that can come up in practicing law...it was really helpful because she's coming from a similar place to where I'm coming from - she went to alw school "to become a better activist" and now works for a big law firm where she's learning how to balance her beliefs with the legal code of ethics (which is different from the average person's, to be sure) and how to influence clients, as their legal counsel, to do the right thing. So it was a great conversation. And I had a seitan sandwich which was absolutely phenomenal.

The rest of the weekend was bascially work work and more work, and today I'm going for a late lunch with my family, although right now it's 11am and I'm finishing off my brunch of a fried tofu sandwich. I was looking at those picturesfromt eh Attic and in the last one my arm looks so skinny and gross. I'm not one for criticizing my own body - I generally don't see the point of anything besides body love - but it's GROSS!!! So I've decided that I need to eat even more and put on some weight before I fade away. It's touch being a skinny bitch...lots of other women get jealous (even though they lookk fabulous) and accuse us of having eating disorders. So this is me defending the skinny bitches: we have body issues, too! And how do you think it feels when your jeans size (0) implies that you don't even exist?! Thinka bout it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do sound busy!

I hope the Women In House thing goes smoothly. I am sure it will. I guess it just goes to show how crazy things are in politics, how the ground is always shifting. Aww... Now I miss working at the Leg'.
Oh, and about the arm-picture. I think some of it is just because of wonky camera effects. Not being very hefty myself, I sympathise with the whole social stigma of being skinny thing. Bring on the junk food! :-P

SassyTortuga said...

Awww thank you Matthew! I feel better. Although fattening food is hard to come by when you're a tofu-head.

Anyway I'll let you know how WIH goes. Hopefully (knock on wood) it will magickally work out like it somehow did last year.

Anonymous said...

It also doesn't help you look big when you're standing beside a 230ish pound guy in the picture.



..... Damn skinny people =P

Anyhow, much love
Peace