Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Miscellany

I know! I've been so very neglectful, breaking promises to post about various subjects and just generally being MIA. It seems that vacation, and then law school, have gotten the best of me. I had planned a post about the scrumptulous Equinox fest that The Jenn and I made, but then reading, etc. happened. And I've been at Adam's for the past several days so I haven't gotten the photos on to my computer in order to show them to you. I'm still at the Boy's so we'll have to put off that gratification for a bit longer, but in the interim here are a few things for you to ponder.

First, a small tribute: if you haven't already heard either from me or from Jenn's blog, we lost out baby girl Kali. It was all very sudden - she had a particularly vicious and untreatable kitty disease which we just found out about recently, and the vet advised Jenn that the best thing to do was to have her put down so that she wouldn't suffer. Love and kisses, Buddha Kitten. I miss you.

Second, I've been reading Casaubon's Book faithfully, and Sharon has some fascinating insights into myriad issues such as the the environmental crisis and sustainability, feminism, religion, family, etc. etc. if you didn't explore her site after I posted that last link to it a little while ago, I strongly encourage you to do so. There's one recent post that made my heart stop, both in its imagery and its implications. So often we think of issues like, war, poverty and climate change as abstract issues with no real consequences in our own lives. But as a woman, I was actually physically pained to read this piece. It spells out, in brutally human terms, one of the consequences of our actions and inaction, of the choices we make to either remain complacent or to work for change and demand it of our elected representatives. Can we sit back and let these things happen to human beings? Can we stubbornly refuse to change our habits until they start happening to us, or to our loved ones? I'm suddenly compelled to DO SOMETHING, having let myself get lazy and comfortable for too long.

And finally, not to end things on such a gloomy note...Gala Darling's blog is my daily fluff, and this post cheered me up somewhat after reading Sharon's dire warnings. I don't see myself going out and buying any Disney accessories, but maybe a whimsical trip to Frenchy's (or even just to the dark recesses of my own closet) might be in order...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your kitty. :(

Yeah, reading the stuff about violence against women always gets to me too. I suppose a lot of issues do seem abstract, but that one always hits home, as I obviously can sympathize directly from a woman's perspective. It's just disgusting, really.

It's the same thing that's happening in the Democratic Republic of the Congo right now - soldiers and everyone else really, doing horrible unthinkable things to all the women in the country. I read an article on it and could barely get through it all. It all just leaves me feeling depressed and helpless/hopeless. Urgh.

-Melanie

SassyTortuga said...

It is truly horrific. But (so far) I haven't let myself feel helpless against it. The way I see it, things change (and they DO change, sometimes) because ordinary people make them change. So it's a reason to keep working and keep hoping.

Also, it's good to hear from you, Mel! How's post-university life treating you?

EDWARD said...

Hi,

I hope you don’t mind my contacting you like this but I couldn’t find an email contact on your blog.

I’m launching a new website about Halifax, www.infomonkey.net, and we have a feature that allows outside bloggers to post into a section of the site and when a user clicks to read it the blogger's page opens in a new window.

So your post about a restaurant can go into our restaurant section or a post about a movie can go into the movie section - but our visitor reads it on your site.

You must join the site and be logged in.

You post by clicking on the gray New Post link in the left column of any page
except the home page (or "Submit Your News under Essentials in the
gray nav bar).

You enter a headline, the beginning text, a 100-pixel wide picture and the URL for your blog.

Select the very last option under PUBLISH MY BLOG TO INFOMONKEY: "Yes, add my headline and text to Infomonkey.net, but open my external blog in a new window."

There’s no acknowledgement that you posted so you only have to do it once.

Your post will come into the site but will not appear until we enable it.

We do not moderate posts for content so much as for preventing abuse: I
don't want people just posting only links, and I don't want posts that are purely promotional.

Try it and let me know if you have any questions or problems. And if
you like it, please pass along the word to other local bloggers.

Ted Sutcliffe
topbanana@infomonkey.net