Sunday, May 03, 2009

Maybe I wasn't entirely fair the other day. I am in fact related to some very intelligent people with experiences different from my own. They're frustrated that their ideology doesn't find expression in most mainstream media and to be fair, my horizons consistently expand when I visit them. I spent the exam season ignoring the newspapers but I now have at least an idea of what's going on with the US's economic stimulus, interrogation techniques and why Miss California blames her loss in the Miss USA pageant on Perez Hilton. And it serves as a reminder not to let ideology cloud my own opinions - a reminder we could all use once in a while.

It's just that the sentiment at my American grandparents' house is so emphatically anti-liberal that most of the time I don't feel comfortable expressing my own opinions. Plus, Rush Limbaugh makes me want to bash my head against the wall with his nonsensical rants and trademark tendency to ignore nuance. Apparently when Obama says that he wants the US Supreme Court to include people who understand what it's like to be marginalized or to be outside the system, what he means is that he wants to appoint ex-cons, illegal immigrants and a disabled, black, lesbian single mother with no legal training. I'm not making this up. Here I was thinking that there was a middle ground - that the immensely talented group of people with increasingly diverse cultural, ethnic, sexual and socioeconomic backgrounds that is entering the legal profession might have something to contribute. Dal Law negligently forgot to inform me of how idiotic I've been, that there is no middle ground between a rich, white, male judiciary and total anarchy. Good thing Rush is around to set me straight.

But I shouldn't pick on Rush. It's too easy - I feel like I'm taking cheap shots. And here I am going on a rant of my own - guess it rubs off. Still I feel that it's my right after holding my tongue through approximately 5 hours of Glenn Beck alone. I'm harbouring a week's worth of snarky comments...but I'm going to bed now.

No comments: