Thursday, November 16, 2006

It's a good thing!

Subversive at-work blogging while the rest of the office is in a meeting, oh yessss.

I kinda feel sorry for the people who read this, because I either don't update or my posts are terribly unexciting. So allow me to tell you a story from yesterday, which some of you have already heard.

I was running late for the bus, as is my fashion. I grappbed my keys and phone and ran for the door - at which point I remembered that I had promised The Jenn I would take out the bag of stinky kitty litter.

So I grap the garbage bag and haul ass down the stairs of our building and back to the dumpster. I toss the bag inside...and my phone goes flying in with it. I'm standing there, already about to miss the bus, and looking at my pretty pink phone sitting calmly atop a pile of garbage bags. Unfortunately, said pile is not high enough for me to simply reach iside and snatch py phone. On the plus side the dumpster is fairly non-gross at the time. So I do what is necessary: I throw all my stuff on the ground and go dumpster-diving.

As I'm emerging, I see the bus pulling up to my stop. So I dash across the parking lot at full speed, only to have my rape alarm dislodge itself from my keychain and fly (screaming loudly) back across the parking lot. For a split second I contemplate just leaving it there but one of my neighbours is staring at me. I run back for the alarm and again dash for the bus - this time attempting to simultaneously fit the pin back into the noisy alarm thingy.

Miraculously, I catch the bus.


In other news I am almost done the law school applications (at last!) and am getting ready for the holidays. The title of this here post refers to the fact that I'm becoming a bit of a treehugging Martha - making soaps and yummy snacks rather than buying tons of useless stuff for the people on my list. I did go shopping with Trainee last weekend and tried to get some of my gift shopping done...I successfully found a measuring cup for myself and a late birthday present for The Boy. I also developed a burning desire for every product in the Lush store (except for the one I actually went in looking for). Sigh. I know I need to get a move on because Noel Nog is out now and if I don't get my gifts first I may spend all my money on creamy soy-based eggnog-esque goodness. It's just so delicious! Right now I'm sickish and losing my voice. that's bad because my job involves answering phones etc.

Anyway - the rest of the office is back. Must go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who are you trying to kid, your entries are always exciting!

Congrats on getting down to the end of the law school apps. And on your successful dumpster-dive.

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with your entry, but it was kinda funny: A few moments ago I was chatting with Nathan B. from high school, for the first time since we ran into him at the Dome. I sent him the link to my site. After a few minutes he noted that my sister was cute, and asked why didn't I tell him about her before?! Hehehe, I laughed for about five minutes...

Me said...

Wait, what?! You carry a rape alarm around with you? Thats insane. Never heard of a women in this city carry one before. I feel safer and safer in Sydney every day.

SassyTortuga said...

Matthew: Awesome.

Orhan: Yeah, Halifax has the highest per-capita crime rate in Canada. The reasons for that are fairly complex, but it's still a pretty alarming statistic. I honestly don't know of a lot of women here who carry rape alarms here, but I got this keychain for Christmas last year (from an American relative) and since I have it I figure it can't hurt to carry it around, just in case. It's a comfort to have with me when I'm out at night...although I'm starting to feel like it's more trouble than it's worth!