Saturday, November 25, 2006

Have you ever felt like a jerk because you were a jerk to somebody, and then they gave you a present because they thought that they had been a jerk to you?

Long story, but now I have my very own copy of The EcoLogical Calendar and it makes me smile to see two seasons of it stretched out across my wall. Unlike the traditional Gregorian calendar, it isn't divided into arbitrary blocks of time... time is presented as a flow, with astrological and biological rythms. The days and months are almost an afterthought. it's so intuitive, so organic - I love it. Now I can feel like I have more of a connection with nature even as I live in an overdeveloped residential area with way too much light and noise pollution and pitifully little nearby greenspace. Sorry, did that sound like whining? It was.

I'm working on simplifying my life, stressing less (ha ha) and lowering my ecological footprint. It's hard to stay motivated, though, when you're surrounded by glass and concrete and a secular religion that preaches consumption as the one and only God. As a child I lived on a Christmas tree farm in rural New Brunswick where I learned the names of trees, weeds and animals. I watched fireflies in July. I made bread with my Grammy - she always let me punch down the dough. On my breakfast cereal I had wild strawberries, picked from our yard the day before.

It was important that I leave the farm and pursue the life I have, but I'm also painfully aware of what I'm missing: the clarity of the night sky away from city lights, the smell of clean air and growing things, sounds that are easily drowned out by car engines. I have lived among all these things and in their absence feel a void that I lack the words to describe.

At any given time I may have up to three calendars on the go. It's currently two: a (gregorian)wall calendar in my room and a datebook that never leaves my side. I also have a notebook filled with to-do lists. I often tell my friends I don't have time to see them I average seven hours of sleep a night. I vaguely recall concepts such as sponataneity, leisure, even - gasp! - BOREDOM. Half of my awareness is perpetually focussed on the next task while the other half is usually on the lookout for danger. There's room for little else. The marvel that is modern western society.

Now I need to relearn how to notice what surrounds me. I can't remember the last time I even looked at the stars. The next cloudless night I'm bundling up and going outside; feel free to join me.

2 comments:

Me said...

I live next to a highway, in a densely populated suburb of Sydney, which resembles a place more like Hong Kong due to the incredible amount of Oriental people. Though we do have a hell alot of greenery all over the city. You look from the rooftop of any tall building and you will see a river of green, thankfully.

Btw, that calender sounds funky.

Anonymous said...

I don't know... I would say that a day is a pretty natural rhythm, in fact perhaps the most important one in my mind. Still, I could totally get into a non-month-based calendar.

And man, now I miss living in the Annapolis Valley, and watching bright meteor showers on the picnic table in my backyard. When the Leonids last came through I looked out my window into a streetlamp and sighed to think that it was going on essentially invisible overhead.

Ottawa is pretty good for having parks, but I am hesitant to embrace them fully. During the Spring the school inadvertantly forgot to de-weed the little lawn beside my residence, and I was so joyfull to finally see dandelions after months of "perfect" green spaces. Then of course they "fixed" it and once again it became merely an echo of nature.

On an aside, I look forward to having kids that get muddy and scratches. The way most parents sanitise their children these days cannot possibly be good for their immune system or their personality.

P.S.: Sorry for the rambling response!