Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Spring Clearing

Photo by ranhar2


I think April is vastly superior to January in terms of making resolutions and a fresh start. For example, this year I actually called a do-over on my New Year's because school started up so suddenly and got so overwhelming, so quickly, that I fell into old patterns almost right away in the name of surviving the school year. Then I felt guilty about it - not good.

Spring, on the other hand, is so effing inspirational that I can't help but WANT to make changes. Exercise is suddenly fun because it's a matter of going for a walk or bike ride outside rather than hauling ass to the gym and sweating all over some retro elliptical while reading a copy of Good Housekeeping from 1988. Everything's coming to life and you don't want to be left out. Plus, you're probably going to do some spring cleaning anyway - so why not do it right?

At this point you probably, like me, have lots of junk to clear out of your home, body, mind and spirit. How you deal with it depends on your style and schedule, but how about some inspiration?

Real Simple has zillions of cleaning and organizing tips, plus printable worksheets for keeping track of anything you can possibly imagine. There's even a feature for e-organizing your favorites.

Apartment Therapy's Kitchen Cure at TheKitchn.com - make a space where you'll actually want to eat, and figure out what to do with that leftover barley, clam juice and moonshine jelly.

The icing Transformation Challenge with Gala Darling, your purple-haired cheerleader.

Get some perspective from Kris Carr, creator of Crazy Sexy Cancer, who's delivering an ass-kicking to cancer with whole foods and positivity.

Laugh!

Personally, I'm cleaning the bejeezus out of the condo in preparation for moving in all my stuff (!) and just generally being really good to myself. I'm replacing processed crap with fresh, whole, mostly-local veggies; doing yoga every morning and meditating every night; going to bed early; getting outside as much as I can, and catching up on all the life I let pass me by during the 1L exam insanity. Aaaannd...wasting time blissfully, guilt-free, because I finally can!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Iranian New Year's is at the Spring Equinox- Not quite when the weather is totally toasty, but still not in the depth of Winter, either. It does seem to make a bit more sense (Except for the North American tradition giving an excuse for a party on the dreary January First).

I agree with you, Spring Cleaning is lots of fun! Being able to do fun stuff outside AND not simultaneously freeze is also dandy. I walked to and from Hindi class on Monday, and it was very pleasent, and the weekend before I cycled to Church on Saturday and Sunday.

It is super to hear that you made it through exam-time without pulling out all of your hair. My sister had the last exam of her BSc a few days ago. I am not sure I told you, but she has chosen a school at which to do her education degree: MSVU!

Have a snazzy evening!
Breathe Deep, Seek Peace, God Bless,
Matthew.