Thursday, June 23, 2005

Doggies!

As usual, I'm idle at work and killing time...I just came across this and it's so sweet...the stories of street dogs in Bangkok. It reminded me of Costa Rica, where there are stray dogs everywhere and it just breaks your heart. They wander in and out of sodas (small open-air restaurants) and nobody pays any attention to them. They're generally really sweet animals but they're just covered in fleas and ticks and mange. I imagined my dogs living that way and I just wanted to bring them all home and make them healthy again.

It also took me a while to figure out what was so unusual about the dogs in Costa Rica. Then one morning I was sitting in Soda Frank in Playa Jaco (incidentally, if you're ever in the area, Soda Frank makes THE BEST gallo pinto I tasted during the 6 weeks I was in the country, and I ate pinto every chance I got so I consider myself somnewhat of an authority on the subject, at least for a born-and-raised Canadian girl). A dog wandered in and then it hit me: stray dogs have testicles. It just looks really silly, especially having grown up surrounded by neutered animals. But that's my Costa Rica story for the day. I'm feeling so desperate to go back that I need to appease the urge by talking about it constantly. But without further ado, I give you the street dogs of Bangkok.

http://bkkstreetdogs.blogspot.com/2005/01/welcome-from-casanova.html

No comments: