Sunday, December 25, 2005

First, let me say...

...happy holidays, whatever you celebrate. I come from a Christmas family myself, but I'm also a Solstice girl. Less pressure and materialism, and no I'm not opposed to people singing religious Christmas carols or putting up creches - although from the conversation around here you'd swear that every non-conservative had that as their hidden agenda, the "War on Christmas" and all that - but why not be a little more inclusive, y'know? Who does it hurt? I read in the paper here the other day that a bunch of Republican supporters threw out their cards from the president because he went with the "Happy Holidays" instead of "merry Christmas" message on the inside. And yet it's the liberals (small-l)who are intolerant...figure that one out. Anyway.

We had a nice Christmas here - great food, lots of laughter - I can't complain. And some members of my family have just amazing taste in gifts. I got a Betty Boop calendar from my aunt Dottie, an alarm clock/radio that can wake you up to the sound of the ocean/rain/rainforest/etc from Dad, and a shiitake log from my cousin Emily. that's right. A log on which you grow shiitake mushrooms. My Em does all her Christmas shopping at Red Envelope and picks out the neatest stuff.

I made Portobello Wellington for dinner and it was sooo good. I'm still stuffed nearly 6 hours later. Oh and I sprained the middle finger on my left hand catching a football.

Adam had Christmas dinner with my Mom's side of the family - all 31 relatives and significant others who currently happen to be in Nova Scotia - and Mom says he handled it pretty well. I'll have to do something nice for him when I get back! Until then, he has Mom's fudge and cookies.

Anyway enjoy yourselves, folks, and I'll be home soon enough. Julie: see my response to your last comment!

2 comments:

Julie said...

aaargh i have plans for new years already... a few of my friends are home for christmas from western canada and we really want to get them drunk and make fun of their accents. but joel plasketttt waahhhh! :S

Julie said...

oops i just realized that i should have left that on your last post. oh well, you'll get it anyway!