Wednesday, August 30, 2006

"Autumn's here, it makes you sad, about the crummy summer we had"

Okay it wasn't THAT crummy. I got to hug some trees and party a little. And no homework! But my point is, it got cold. Fast. So it is clearly fall and I didn't even get to a beach.

Anyway, as others prepare for school by taking advantage of all the school-supply sales, I must be all consumery as well. You see, my dear old computer bit the dust - or, in tastier terms, it is toasted, scrambled and fried. Mmmm.

All of this means that the purchase of a new Hell-Beast, I mean computer, is imminent. I'm going for a laptop this time, for the power-saving and portability-to-Victoria properties and the sheer betterness of it. The next question is what to get. My Code-ninja amigo Mark laid out what he says are my two best options. I'm looking for input from my readers, even if you're just some random who stumbles across the site by accident. So here they are:

A) A Dell, $600ish, best warranty in the business.
B) A MacBook, $1100ish, ages far more gracefully.

Mark for the record is a Mac person and is desperately trying to convert me, so we all know where he stands on this issue.

Additional considerations:
-My needs are very simple: email, Messenger and word processing. Occasionally scanning photos and obtaining mp3s off the Interweb. No silly computer games, no ninja coding, just the basics.
-I'm off to law school next year so I'd like something that will hold up ok for the next four years.
-I'm not broke or even poor(or at least, I won't be when I start my new job) but I'm trying to save up for the aforementioned law degree.
-I'm utterly spazzalicious and need a warranty that will protect against me accidentally mangling my electronics.

One thing that barely deserves a mention is that the MacBook comes with a free iPod nano. Personally, I think that's just stupid and a symptom of our ridiculous consumer-obsessed culture (yes, I'm always on)...charging more than is necessary for something and then trying to sweeten the deal by throwing in something that people don't need and, in my case, don't want and will rarely use. It might be useful for my occasional long bus rides to Maine, but that's about it. Mostly I've found headphones creepy ever since I read Fahrenheit 451 in grade 5 or whenever it was. Maybe I could sell it and recoup some of the exorbitant price of the computer...

Anyway. Let me know what you think, or if you have a better idea. Thanks folks!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My honest opinion is that computers age more based on how their treated than who made them, since, let's be honest, they're mostly slapped together with parts from the same place anyhow, Mac or PC.

For your purposes, i'd go with the dell, or i'd take Mark on a cruise through www.newegg.com for something to suit your purposes. And if you ever do need to do anything more than paper/blog writing, you'll have my computer to use out in victoria.

Also, it will get warm again, it will get warm again, it will get warm again, that is my mantra, please join me in it to convince fall to fack off.

Anonymous said...

And yeah, i have no doubt that the cost of the "free" ipod crapo is included in the 1100$ whether they admit it or not.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Adam. Macs unfortunately are also not compatible with your basic pc so if you say started a paper at school on a pc and then brought it home to your mac you'd have a difficult time transfering the files from one computer to the next. I've never been a mac person and as far as I'm concerned the only thing that makes them appealing is that they are pretty colours. Go with the dell...you'll get everything you want and no "free" but in actuality ups the price bullshit. It's a great warranty, and despite what mark says my comp is going on 5 years old and still runs better than some of my friends newer comps.

SassyTortuga said...

Excellent points, both of you, although I will say, Jenn, that I've never had compatibility issues with the Macs in the Mount library...I think they've fixed that issue.

Right now I'm definitely leaning toward the Dell...so Mark, if you have any final comments you're welcome to make them now.

Anonymous said...

Completely off topic but I thought it would interest you so I figured I would let you know, I just watched a movie I think you would really enjoy its called America:Freedom To Fascism. You can find the trailer on quicktime.com. As for the PC V. Mac case I think that in the end either one will not have a noticeable difference to the average consumer. Unless you need to do something that one or the other is specifically better at you won't see a major difference. So all in all pick the cheaper one but, remember you do get what you pay for.

Anonymous said...

Which is why i'd suggest the dell and save 500$ for the girl who only uses her computer to write papers, blog, and roam the web occasionally. =P

Anonymous said...

I've got an iPod. I ditched the headphones and used my own and it's a great device - regulate your mood through music, not cawfee! (:

Anonymous said...

I believe she was referring to a aversion to headphones in general, not Ipod specific ones, since Ipods didn't exist when Farenheit 451 was published.

SassyTortuga said...

Precisely. The whole bit in the beginning of the book about the dude's wife being dead inside, so she turned to drug overdoses and "seashells"...it wasn't the earphones that were the problem per se, but it was enough to awaken in me a mistrust of such devices designed to separate one from the rest of the world...but that's probably a really weird idiosyncracy and i'm sure you're all judging me now. I'm down with it if you are.

But it's good to hear from you again, Josh!