Monday, August 28, 2006

I heart vacations

My paycheck will suffer but my happiness certainly has not. I started out the week by attending an environmental law & policy workshop and strategy session hosted by the NSE in response to the proposed amendments to the Nova Scotia Environment Act. The biggest problem seemed to be that the Act gives the Minister of Environment and Labour tons of discretionary powers but doesn't compel him/her to act, meaning that enforcement of environmental legislation is likely to continue to be patchy. Not to mention that the public consultation period ends 8 September (I dunno about you, but I JUST heard that the thing was going on) and they haven't been actively engaging with the public on the issue. The NSEN initiated this particular event in Halifax, and there's been nothing in any other part of the province. Just a quiet invitation to submit comments. Gah! So we're asking for them to extend the consultaion period and actually go out and get input from the public. This is our future, and we can't just let it be decided quietly in the boardroom and on the golf course. So please contact your MLA, Mark Parent (Minister of Environment and Labour) and the Premier and tell them you want a more thorough public consultation on this Act!

Anyway, I spent the rest of the week getting/making work clothes, cooking, cleaning, reading, staring at the walls...it was brilliant. I dragged The Boy on a brief hike in the Blue Mountain/Birch Cove Wilderness Area, which is a gorgeous and peaceful, though somewhat inaccessible, retreat from the insanity and bad-driver-ness of the Bayers Lake industrial park that borders it. We went to see Accepted - predictably cheesy but really enjoyable - and I finished off the week by taking Jenn to a going-away party for one of my high school friends who is joining the exodus out West. We met some fun people and recruited them for Fantoga 2006. Then on Sunday I cleaned my old room at my parents house and that wasn't so much fun because, well, it was cleaning.

Anyway I have loads to do this week because I'm going to Maine next week to visit the family before starting my new job. More interesting posts to come, I promise. The Republican branch of my kin never fail to amaze and entertain me...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally anxiously await the 10pm phone rants about the one-sided, Bush-propagandizing inadequacy of Fox news! It's gonna be great!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say you "dragged" me out there, though i will admit i wasn't as willing to let you stomp off into the unmarked wild as you would have likes =P

As for Accepted, good movie, especially if you enjoy national lampoon kinda stuff. First movie that i've full out laughed at in awhile.

Oh, and i'm slightly envious that jen gets the rants on american news hehe =)

SassyTortuga said...

I wouldn't call our telephone conversations "rants" - I save those for on here. When I'm there my phone calls to The Jenn are usually more along the lines of "holy crap dude guess waht i got? VEGAN HEMP BROWNIE MIX!!!"