Sunday, January 22, 2006

"The Holy(er than thou) Bible of Vegetarianism"

16 hours to Montreal. 16 hours back. 4 days in between, with a small group in a big city. It's nice to be home and back in my own space - not to say that I didn't have fun, of course. Among the memorable moments from the conference (besides this post's title, which I got from Ryan):

Ryan (again): The glass is half-empty for you, isn't it, Justine?

McGill Bloc hack: I'm from Nova Scotia, I'm an anglophone.

McGill NDP hack (quoting somebody else): Canada is like a cow: fed by the West, milked by the Centre, and just imagine what it's doing in the Maritimes.

Bailey (Lethbridge): You see, my fish has a black belt and it beat up the Yeti. But it has never beaten up a unicorn. Thus, unicorns do not exist."

Jonathan (MSVU) and cab driver: Haha! Kak!

Doug (UVic): So what you're saying is, I should get you in on this game of Beirut...

Bruno (MSVU Greenpeace hack): I don't careabout the rainforest. That's not here, it's in South America!

4 comments:

SassyTortuga said...

That's what I said! His fish is a poser.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it was a fantastic conference! It should be noted that not all Nova Scotians are Anglophones, though (Although a lot are, I guess).
So what about that election? I think I told a friend that my prediction was fifteen months until the next one...

SassyTortuga said...

Too true, although she did explicitly state that she was indeed an anglophone.

I'm gonna guess 18 months because the Conservatives have a really tenuous grip on power, but everybody in Parliament knows how pissed off Canadians will get if we have to go through all this again soon.

Plus, barring another political opportunity like the sponsorship scandal, the opposition would probably rather do the campaign thing in June-ish than in April. Remember the four Canadian seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter and Construction. If I were knocking on doors I'd rather do it during Construction than Still Winter.

Anon said...

Despite it happened just under a year ago, and my comments are a bit late: I actually remember that debate. What I couldn't believe was that a Nova Scotian was representing the Bloc Québecois. The francophone conservative representative destroyed her.

"I'm not going to let some Nova Scotian tell me that Canada isn't my country."